I wanted to do a quick post on how I painted these ombre reciprocal hearts for Valentine's Day.
It did take some time to complete but I felt the end was result was really cute! I wanted to try to represent all the colors of Valentine's Day: pink, purple, mint and yellow.
OPI Short's Story
H&M Pink Macaroon
China Glaze Grape Pop
Barry M 308 Berry
Hot Topic Mint to Be
China Glaze Refreshment
Sally Hansen Mellow Yellow
H&M Orange Sunset
Sally Hansen White On
Basically, you can use any colors as long as they go light to dark.
- Apply a coat of white as your base and then apply a quick dry top coat.
- Sponge your colors in a gradient and apply another coat quick dry top coat.
- Wait until it is 100% dry before applying your tape stencil. (Please see my previous post on how to make a tape heart stencil.)
- Apply the stencil and sponge in the opposite colors as your base gradient. i.e. I went light to dark as the base and then dark to light as the heart to get the contrast.
- You can trim down your makeup sponge when you want to switch colors. That way you you're not wasting another sponge to switch colors.
- Clean up your cuticles with a cotton bud dipped in remover and apply another coat of top coat!
I hope you give this a try.
Thanks for reading!