Sunday, December 7, 2014

Peppermint Swirl: Water Marble Decals

Hi everyone! 

How's your weekend going? 

Yesterday, I decided to try to make a peppermint swirl water marble using the water marble decals technique. 

Let's take a look! 


Colors Used: 

Zoya Tamsen
Sally Hansen White On



Basically, to make a water marble decal is to let the polish set while it's still in the water instead of dunking your nail in. Once "dry" you can pull it out of the water and use it like a nail sticker/decal.  

I had stuck this in the fridge for a few minutes to help it set quicker. I pulled it out of the water and gently dried off the water with a lint free wipe.  I then placed it on some wax paper and folded the paper around it. I left for a couple of hours to go eat lunch and it was still malleable and not dried out. 

The finished manicure: 


Lightbox shot


Outdoor shot


Outdoor shot


This is what happened when I dunked my nail like a normal water marble. It turned out pink! Dunno why?  I never had a nail fail make me LOL! 

How I did it?

It did take some fiddling to get the water marble decal onto my nail. I cut the design to fit my nail as close as I could. I painted a coat of Orly's Bonder over my base white and placed the decal on my nail. I used cuticle nippers to trim up the edges. I cleaned up a bit with a brush dipped in acetone but I had to be careful because the acetone was turning it pink.

I didn't want to make another decal for my index and ring so I used this craft hole punch to make a star using the excess decal. I folded it between the wax paper for better control. 



I got this at the Dollar Store,

Just in case you were curious, here's how to make the swirl pattern: 


Basically, you make your bullseye with 10-12 rings and draw starting out from the center in four directions: up, down, left, right and then draw in between those towards the center. It'll look like a large lily/flower at this point and then gently swirl it. I like to use a safety pin and clean it between swipes.

Final Thoughts? 

I rarely make water marbles because they are messy and can be time consuming. I think I've only done three total for the whole year. I have a problem with the polish bubbling  no matter how careful I am.  I liked the water marble decals technique because there was minimal cleanup, no air bubbles and I can better aim what part of the design I want. 

So give this a try! Let me know how it goes! 

Feel free to post to my Facebook or tag me on Instagram @misslizards 

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments/questions? Disrespectful comments will be promptly deleted. Please leave your spam links elsewhere. Any further questions, please email me.