Monday, April 7, 2014

DIY: Scented Nail Polish Remover

Hi everyone!

If you're a polish addict like me I bet you go through A LOT of nail polish remover and sometimes they can be quite smelly! 

I thought I'd share with you how I mix a scented and moisturizing nail polish remover. 

The recipe I've been using is the same formulation of Zoya's Remove +. 

I've been mixing faux Remove + because I ran out.  Don't get me wrong I love Remove +.  It's a great product but the lavender scent was really starting to bother me.


See not a drop to spare! 

To mix, the ingredients you are going to need:


Glycerin & 100% Acetone

You can purchase these at any pharmacy or department store. Glycerin was sold out in all the stores I checked so I ordered it off Amazon.


Essential oils of your choice. I've been mixing Cinnamon or Spearmint scented remover. I also add a few drops of these when I mix my own cuticle oil.  You can also use perfume oil. Make sure it's a scent approved for cosmetic use. You can find these at your local health food store or online.

The recipe: 
  • 2 Tbs of Glycerin 
  • 2 Tbs of Water 
  • 8oz of 100% Acetone
  • A few drops of an essential oil of your choice 


(My right hand makes a rare appearance)



I like to mix the glycerin and water in a measuring cup. I then add the mixture and 8oz of acetone to my empty Zoya Remove + bottle. You can use an empty nail polish remover pump or bottle.  Obviously, you don't want to mix the acetone in soft plastics because it will eat through the plastic.  Always use any necessary precautions when dealing with acetone.



I then add a few drops of either my spearmint or cinnamon essential oil.  I've been really happy with my cinnamon scented remover. 

I made a video tutorial showing the steps as well: 



Final Thoughts? 

I've been using this mix as my go-to remover for quite some time. It has the same ingredients as Remove + and works just as well.  I always wash my hands after removing my polish so I don't have any issues with adhesion with my next manicure. 

This mix will also save you money in the long run. For example, the ingredient listed above approximately cost $10 and yields 16oz of remover versus one bottle of Remove + ($10) which only yields 8oz.  

To save more money, you can purchase a gallon of 100% acetone for $20 versus a gallon of Remove +  which is $100. (Local sales tax excluded). 


That is a LOT of acetone! 

I hope you found this tutorial helpful! 

Give it a try! 

Thanks for reading!

DIY Credit: Thank you Loodie

7 comments:

  1. Oh, I may have to try this out one of these days! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, I must also get off my backside and give this a go. And WHOA that is a lot of acetone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've using straight up acetone but maybe i'll give this a try one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally bookmarking this! Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw your video and still haven't picked up everything to make my own yet. I'm such a slacker, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. I like to make my own also when I run out of remove+

    ReplyDelete

Comments/questions? Disrespectful comments will be promptly deleted. Please leave your spam links elsewhere. Any further questions, please email me.