Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Halloween Nail Art Roundup

Most of these Halloween themed manicures have been posted to Facebook but here's a more in-depth post on how each look was created (for those who are curious). 


Stamp image lowdown (from pinkie to thumb): 

Pumpkin - BM-222
Cobweb - BM-13
Ghost - BM-223
Bat- Faunad plate T13H
Haunted Mansion - BM-213
Pumpkin with vines - BM-224



I started off with a base of China Glaze's Pelican Grey and custom mixed a medium grey and added black tip sponging.  The stamping is done with Pure Ice Silver Mercedes.  The stamp images used on my left hand are as follows (from thumb to pinkie):

Bloody Bat - BM-301 
Small Cob Web - Bm-13
Pumpkin with vines - BM-224
Skull - BM-211
Large Cobweb - Fauxnad plate T13H 

Overall, my favorite Halloween themed plate is Fauxnad plate T13H.  It has good set of images for Halloween and it's deeply etched enough to pick up the images.  The large cob web is one of my favorites to use.  The Bundle Monster images were fine but they were harder to pick up cleanly.  The metal scraper would not work and I had to switch to the plastic one.  It did take some trial and error for these and I almost thought my plates were defective. 

Frankenstein Nails!



These were pretty easy and I'd recommend you trying them if you are new to nail art!  I started off with a base of China Glaze's Trendsetter which is an avocado poo green and did a coat of quick dry top coat.  I then took wavy craft scissors and cut some painter's tape to make a wavy line for his hair.  I tape it off and painted it in with black.  The rest I did with dotting too and a striping polish!  I wanted the faces to each look a little different.  They look rather angry...

Pumpkin Faces! 



The base is Color Club's Sparkle and Soar.  I painted the pumpkin faces with black acrylic paint.  I'm trying really hard to master free-hand and acrylic paint!  You can rub off any mistakes with rubbing alcohol.  It took me a couple of tries to get the faces just right.  The green leaves are also acrylic paint.  I bought the basic Reeves acrylic paint set from the art store $12 for 24 colors. 

(Sparkle & Soar outside shot, so gorg!) 

Gradient Nails! 


Please excuse the paint on my fingers! I was trying a new technique I learned on how to create a gradient using acrylic paint and a fan brush, seen here. The paint got all over my fingers! I started with a plain base coat with no color and swiped the acrylic paint with a fan brush and added a topcoat. I was afraid that the yellow would stain through and did not wear this for long. Luckily, it did not and I was able to remove this like any other manicure. Going forward, I'm going to stick with plain o' polish for gradients. Though I really liked this color combo!


I then added some stamping from the same image plates as listed above.  The skulls are from plate QA5. 

That's it. I don't think I have enough time to complete more Halloween manicures unfortunately. 

What are some of your favorite nail art techniques? 

Did you do any Halloween themed manicures yet? 

Feel free to post on my Facebook page so I can see! 

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

Comments/questions? Disrespectful comments will be promptly deleted. Please leave your spam links elsewhere. Any further questions, please email me.