Wednesday, January 23, 2013

OPI Mariah Carey Liquid Sand: Swatches & Review

I have for review today the Mariah Carey by OPI Liquid Sand glitters. They are matte glitters that dry to a textured finish that requires no top coat. According to the product box the Liquid Sand polishes can be described as, "a textured matte finish infused with reflective glints of light."

As always, all photos can be enlarged to show detail by clicking on them.




OPI Get Your Number.  This is a blue jelly with medium sized holographic glitter.  This one was the most sheer of the set.  Actually, using more coats of this polish causes it to lose the textured effect.  I used 3-coats here and that's probably why it looks darker than the other swatch photos I've seen. 



OPI Can't Let Go.  This is a grape purple with sparse purple hex glitter throughout.  This was one of my favorites out of the set because I'm a huge purple fan!



OPI The Impossible.  This is a pink coral with pink hexagon and smaller pink glitter throughout.  My camera was picking it up more orange but it's definitely more pink in real life.  By the time I swatched this one, I realized that only 2-coats is needed (says so on the box).  The matte gritty texture is more visible with this color.

(with flash)
I was trying to pick up the pink color.  The true color is a cross between these two photos.  Sorry, need a better camera.



OPI Stay the Night.  This polish was the one I was most excited about to try.  This is a sheer black jelly base with hot pink microglitter.  The textured finish makes it look like lava.  Stay the Night is my favorite out of the set. 

I then added a coat of American gelous and a coat Poshe to show how they look with topcoat: 





I think the look great either with or without topcoat.  

Final thoughts? 
Oddly, I liked the Liquid Sand glitters.  I thought that the matte textured finish was something different and unique that I've never seen before with polish.  Although, I'm not sure how the average polisher will embrace them.  My top picks are The Impossible and Stay the Night.

As for removal, they were like any other glitter polish sandy, gritty and glitter got everywhere.  I used a cross between foil method and peel off base coat method to remove.

Availability?
I purchased this 4-piece mini set from Peninsula Beauty for $12.95 USD. Full size bottles retail for $8.50.  These are in-stores now.   

OPI products can also be found at OPI.comUlta, JC Penny and other authorized beauty retailers.

What do you think of the "textured" glitters?

Will you be trying any? 

Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. Your swatches are beautiful!! Especially the ones with top coat, I think I would try one of these and put top coat on it, kinda looks 3D!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Mariah Carey and got all excited when I saw she had an OPI line, but I am not thrilled about them. I think it would drive me nuts without a top coat. If I try one it would be Stay the Night :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Mariah Carey and got all excited when I saw she had an OPI line, but I am not thrilled about them. I think it would drive me nuts without a top coat. If I try one it would be Stay the Night :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments/questions? Disrespectful comments will be promptly deleted. Please leave your spam links elsewhere. Any further questions, please email me.