Thursday, August 23, 2012

Random franken creations

Suffice to say the popularity with custom made nail polish is definitely on the rise!  Many "indie" polishes are great while others not so much.  There was the whole drama about rusty mixing balls, curling glitters, defective formulas and one person ripping people off for their money.  I did not want to take the gamble dealing with the possibility of a defective "indie" polish so I took matters into my own hands.




My first attempt at making a jelly cream with glitter.  The middle through pinkie fingers are with 3-coats.  The index is two coats.  I liked it but this particular shade of purple isn't in season.  This would look good for spring/Easter.  This can be layered over a similar color but then the glitter wouldn't have as much depth. 


I made this for Beautygnome.  She sent me three of her creations and sent her three of my own.  I was trying to dupe Nails, Inc. Sugar House Lane which is a black and white glitter mix in a light chocolate brown base.  She said Sugar House Lane was the only one she was missing from the Sprinkles Collection.  It isn't a shade I'd wear but it does look tasty.  It reminds me of cookies floating in chocolate milk. 


By request, someone asked for a polish called Lot Lizard.  I wanted to make something ugly and unappealing.  The formula on this isn't that great either.  Don't think I'd ever wear this.  I'll recreate this into an ugly yet pretty shade not just plain ugly. 


I wanted to try to dupe Rescue Beauty Lounge's Aqua Lily.  I then spilled blue polish all over my carpet and I didn't feel like mixing anymore. 

I get asked all the time if I'm willing to sell these or open my own Etsy shop.  I really have no interest in doing so.    

Have you tried to custom mix a polish?  How did it turn out?

Thanks for reading! 

5 comments:

  1. I've never tried, and I probably won't. I'm too messy and a bit too clumsy to be trusted with mixing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's supposed to be messy! Try it have fun!

      Delete
  2. These look great! I haven't gotten around to working out which glitters are solvent resistant and that sort of thing yet, so I've just been buying indies... the ones I have so far are amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have access to Emily de Molly polishes! Lucky!

      Delete
  3. The description of Lot Lizard cracked me up. I bet it would be a good glitter combo for a holiday color

    ReplyDelete

Comments/questions? Disrespectful comments will be promptly deleted. Please leave your spam links elsewhere. Any further questions, please email me.