Sunday, August 26, 2012

Essence Peel Off Base coat overview & PVA glue for easy glitter removal?

Now, we all love wearing glitter nail polish from time to time. We just hate removing it! There's some methods to make glitter removal easier i.e. the felt method, the foil method or the scrub like hell method! These methods involve acetone and cotton balls and can be smelly and time consuming.
Luckily, Essence Australia released a product called Ready for Boarding Peel off base coat to ease our glitter removal woes.



It's a base coat that you apply to your nails and when you want to change your color you simply peel it off.  This does no damage to your nail plate and no remover is involved.  This is reminiscent of the peel off nail polishes for children. 

Upon further investigation some other bloggers found that the Essence Peel Off base coat contained the same ingredients as PVA craft glue.  They speculated that the Essence base coat was simply PVA glue in a nail polish bottle.  Click here and here for further reading.  

I found this at my local art store in the scrapbooking section.  It was $4.  This is a brand called Lineco, Books by Hand. 


What is PVA glue?  PVA stands for Polyvinyl acetate and is a white craft glue similar to Elmer's school glue that we used when we were kids.  PVA glue is pH neutral meaning that it is neither acidic or basic.  This glue is primarily used in paper projects or to restore old books and the glue will not degrade the paper over time.

So what does this mean for nails? To start, I poured some the PVA glue in a clean empty polish bottle.  


I decided to try it on my thumb.  Here is my thumb nail free of polish. 


I applied the PVA glue directly to my nail. 


If you are trying this, be careful not to touch your cuticles or the sides of your nail with the PVA glue.  Otherwise, once you apply your polish it can cause it not to adhere properly.   


After a couple of minutes, it had dried clear and was slightly tacky to the touch.  I held my nail up to a desk fan to dry it quicker.


The glitter I chose was Deborah Lippman's Across the Universe.  I bought this last year and it's still untried.  I didn't want to deal with the removal! 

To remove, I used a cuticle stick and started at the base.





Some the glue and glitters were still on my nail.  I removed the rest with a quick swipe of remover.  Here are the glitter remnants. 


Also, can you use Elmer's glue if you can't find PVA glue? 


I'd say give it a try.  Labmuffin used white craft glue in her DIY peel off base coat post.  She added a bit of water to thin it down.  Now, I can't say how well it will adhere but for short term wear and if you change your nail color frequently, this might be a good alternative.  Make sure the glue says water soluble and non-toxic! 

Final thoughts?
I'm still on the fence about this method. I like the concept and it seems like a great idea!  I'm unsure of any possible damage to my nails over time and would not want to find out the hard way.  Feel free to refute me in the comments but this is simply my opinion.  I might try a layer of PVA glue over regular base coat so it's not touching my natural nail. 

My concern is that it will peel off in the shower or will chip off easily.  The instructions for the Essence Peel Off say not touch water for at least 3-hours. 

As always, please try this at your own risk and discretion.  Do not apply to already peeling or damage nails.  If you start to have any type of adverse reactions, please remove immediately.

If you do try it, please let me know how it works for you!

Thanks for reading!

24 comments:

  1. thanks for doing this - really interesting. It *can't* be good, surely ? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said, I'm uncomfortable applying it to my natural nail but will try over regular base coat. I'm sure it's find. I'll post again what I find out.

      Delete
    2. don't try it over OPI base coat - I did, and it stuck to the glue and wrecked my nails. I took some pix and will do a whole review on my blog (lit from within) - over a clean nail it was mostly fine (I have really weak peeling nails, and it took off a little bit at the tip of one nail) but over a base it actually peeled off chunks of the top layers on the middle of my nail, and destroyed the edges.

      Delete
    3. I'm sorry to hear that. I reacted very badly to OPI Nail Envy. It caused my nails to crack way down below the quick and took 6 months to grow out. Yes I would not recommend this product to someone with weak or peeling nails.

      Delete
  2. I definitely want to try this. It honestly seems pretty safe to me, and so far I haven't seen anyone report that it causes their nails to peel when they peel it off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems like such a good idea, it would be great if it works over regular base coat....thanks for the info1

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post!! I think I'll stick to old fashioned remover though :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been wearing PVA as a base for the last few manis, each for 3 days. It acted just like a normal base coat and survived all the daily household activities including washing my hair. Peeled off cleaning and easily. I also tried PVA on one hand and the Essence peel off on the other. They lasted the same and peeled off the same. The only thing I noticed is the peel off and PVA doesn't protect against staining (I used green and blue polishes) but a coat of regular base coat over the PVA stops the staining and still peels off easily.
    My nails are smoother and less dry after peeling than they are after acetoning. It's a winner for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. great to know! That's for your input.

      Delete
  6. i am sooooo going to try this!! as a glitter fan i NEEED something like to to help! thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As someone who works in the nail industry, I'd caution against putting any kind of unknown chemicals on your nails and then topping them with more chemicals! Non toxic doesn't equal safe or non-reactive. But the damage from peeling it off (assuming nails are HEALTHY to start) would most likely be minimal. I doubt this would last long whether or not you use much water because of the oils your nail plate produce. But maybe if it's just once in awhile and just for the night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your input. That's why I wrote a disclaimer about applying over damaged nails. I have feeling someone might peel away some of their nail plate by accident.

      Delete
    2. I too as a nail professional, would caution the weaker nails, but for me as i wear gel nails, i have no issues with this and actually LOVE the idea hence im ALWAYS changing my polish. It don't bother me to wear polish 1-3 days without changing. :)

      Delete
  8. Thanks for linking to my post! :) I had a comment from a reader who used PVA glue to make mosaics everyday for years and the glue never damaged her nails. Also I've done a 5 day wear test which included hand washing, showering and washing dishes. The post will be up tonight. The results were great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait to hear your findings. Hooked is sending me the Essense peel off base coat so I can do a comparison.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the post! I don't know if I'd be comfortable with glue on my nails either!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I may try it with Elmer's glue and let you know the results. Being a pre-k teacher, I have easy access to Elmer's Glue. Have lots from previous years in kindergarten.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so going to try this! I would have my glitter-packed Indies on my nails every day, but I HATE the removal, so this would be a perfect solution for me. Thanks so much for sharing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jamie, let me know how it works out for you!

      Delete
  12. I think I'm gonna try this with the bottle elmers I have in my kitchen. probably won't do it for all my nails, just the one that's currently wrapped so I can still wear my glitters till it grows out. Great post! Thanks <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is very amazing......wow..!!!!!!! m surely gona try it....

    ReplyDelete