Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Artsy Wednesday: Newspaper Nails + variation

This week's theme is newspaper nails.  If you are not familiar, it's a simple technique where you paint your base color and apply a bit of newsprint over your nail and the ink with transfer but in inverse.

To be honest, I wasn't interested in newsprint nails when it was first trending.  I did try it when I was planning my Blade Runner inspired manicure.  There's a scene where Pris stuffs her clothes with trash to stay warm.  It didn't work out for that mani but then it gave me another idea!  I love mani ideas, don't you?

Here's the basic newspaper manicure: 


Reading the texts, you can figure out what part of the world I live in!




I wanted it to look messy and smeared. 

Here are the other bloggers participating in this challenge, please check out their interpretation for this challenge: 

Michelle - Lab Muffin
Holly - Hooked
Sofie - Swaafie
Melanie - Nail & Polish (if off this week but will be back)
Jessica - Beauty Gnome
Catrine - Unnaked Nails

If you want to see the variation, keep scrolling!  It's not for the faint of heart.

Seriously, please close your browser, if you have any sensitivities!


If not, keep scrolling....











Still want to see?  You have time to turn back now!


































Bloody fish market nails! When you go to the fish market, they wrap the catch of the day in newspaper right? 


I think I'm ready...


To gut some fish.

In all seriousness, I wanted to draw attention the fact that the fishing industry is over fishing the oceans and the serious detriment it has on the oceans and environment.  I don't want to get too political but I care a lot about animals and the environment.  I thought up this manicure after I walked through the Seattle fish market.  It smelled like icy bloody fish death.

Thanks for reading!

7 comments:

  1. This looks so cool! I wish I could have been able to do today's theme!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, very cool - I'm glad to see that you also "used" your newspaper for something :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really like this... are ur nails ur own cos they're so long?!

    the fish thing at the bottom is a really nice touch... i admire ppl like u cos i try and do my bit here and there but am the first to admit i can get so hung up on my own silly lil problems i forget the bigger picture!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome use of you newspaper nails ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your creativity is off the charts! I love this, so cool! And you are right about commercial fishing, it is just overkill! We need more aquaculture farms to preserve the natural environment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful mani!!! Really lovely.. and gruesome. Lol....

    ReplyDelete

Comments/questions? Disrespectful comments will be promptly deleted. Please leave your spam links elsewhere. Any further questions, please email me.