Saturday, March 10, 2012

Naked Nails: Silk Wrap Update

About a month ago, I bashed my nail against some boxes at the office and got a crack!  I repaired it with a silk wrap to reinforce it so it wouldn't break or I would not have to cut my nail down.

Caution: Naked nail photos ahead.



Photo with fresh wrap taken 02/07/2012. 

A couple of days ago, the wrap was starting to grow out so I soaked it off. 


My cat is in the background, please excuse her goofiness. 

As you can see, the weak spot has "almost" grown out.  After scrutinizing the nail in the sunlight several times today, I determined that the weak spot was still there somewhat and decided to re-wrap it.  Though it might have been okay without a wrap but I'm not taking my chances!  


Here's a shot with a new wrap taken today.   I'll probably wear this for about a month.

I hate it when a corner of my nail breaks off and the only way to fix it is to file it OVAL! NOOO! 

Sorry if this post sounds really OCD. After having nubs for most of my life, I strive to maintain my nails at a certain length.  Please see My Simple Little Pleasures posts about growing her nails! I feel the way she feels!

Now, there's nothing wrong with having short nails but my nails broke and peeled so severely that I thought I lose my whole nail all together hence being really OCD about preventing breaks.

Here's Luna again trying to be cute! I see through her tricks! 


If you are interested in doing a silk wrap, please see my how-to post or my video tutorial.  I feel it's the most user friendly as far as repairs go and there are no dips or powders involved as with Orly Nail Rescue or using acrylic.

I still want to try UV gel polish for repairs. 

Thanks for reading my really OCD post about maintaining nail length & preventing breaks!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I have planned a silk wrap the next time I have a deep break, but only on the nail involved...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep getting low down tears on the side of my thumb. I'm not sure what's causing it but I keep it wrapped. Glad this could help!

      Delete
    2. WOW, that's what happened to me on both thumbs, you can see how I fixed with it on my blog if you want, if you search for some of the first words, you find it: 1½ months of repairing.....

      Delete
  2. You def can't see the spot anymore compared to when you first did it - thats a good sign!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking at the front of the nail, I could tell it was thinner on one side than the other meaning it could break. I ordered some different resin that one reviewer said holds up better than the resin I've been using.

      Delete

Comments/questions? Disrespectful comments will be promptly deleted. Please leave your spam links elsewhere. Any further questions, please email me.