Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Arsty Wednesday: Book Challenge

I joined Hooked!, Labmuffin and some other fine nail bloggers for a nail art challenge gallery.  The challenge this week is a book challenge!  Since Hooked! and Labmuffin are a day ahead, I'm posting this on a Tuesday.


Like my mad editing skills?  Thought so...



The book I chose is "Nightwatch" by Russian author Sergei Lukyanenko.  It's a series I'm currently reading. 



Obviously if you haven't read the book, the nail art will not make sense.  Let me elaborate without giving too much of the plot away. 

Synopsis: 
Some people are Others. Those with magical abilities.  They choose to be Light or Dark and join their respective Watches.  Those who choose to be on the side of Light will join the Nightwatch (to monitor the Dark ones) and visa versa.  It's all about maintaining a system of checks and balances between good and evil.  

Nail Art: 

Index & Middle:  I tried to replicate the outline of the city on the cover.  I can assume that's supposed to be Moscow. 

Ring: A snow owl.  One of the main characters, Olga, commits an unmentionable crime and is sentenced to live in a body of an owl. She sits in stasis until the head of Nightwatch activates her. 

Pinkie: A vortex.  Vortices manifest in the form of curses.  A powerful sorceress casts a curse large enough to destroy all of Moscow and most of Europe.  The main character, Anton, along with Olga the owl work together to try to stop it.

How I did it? 

The base I used was OPI Vodka & Caviar from the Russian Collection which is fitting because the book is translated from Russian.  I sponged some orange and white to try to make the gradient that's on the cover. 

To make the owl, I painted a base of Whirlwind white and I used $1 Dollar Store kids craft paint.  You paint a clear base coat over it and then you can paint your design.  If you don't like it, it can be rubbed off using water then you can add a topcoat once you are finished.  I wanted Olga the Owl to be dark & mysterious like snow owls are!  I didn't want it to be goofy or cartoony.  I was feeling like I failed Olga and in the end I felt I did her justice! Mani win! 

The vortex, I used the same craft paint as the owl.  I sponged some white and neon over it to make it look more like a vortex versus a swirl. 

Here's some other shots because this took me a long time to paint!




The mess. Yes that's my mani "table!" My fabulous kitty likes to come up and knock off brushes!

Final thoughts? 

I was very happy with the final result and how my nail art turned out. I like how I was able to tie in the Russian-themed color with the Russian novel.  If you like sci-fi, you should definitely check out this book.  It's an easy read.  If you hate reading, then rent the movie. 

Total time to complete: Approx 2 hrs. 
Total time to remove: < 5min. :( 
Mani fail or mani win? WIN!

We've also been linking to each other's blogs so everyone can see all the different interpretations of the themes :) So far the list is:

Michelle - labmuffin.blogspot.com
Alanna - prettypurplepolish.com
Holly - hookedbyhollysagemini.blogspot.com
Maria - mariasnailpolishblog.blogspot.com
Tif - polishedgenius.blogspot.com

Thanks for reading. 

What did you think of the challenge gallery?

13 comments:

  1. It's very nice, I like the owl :)
    And OHMG its only Tuesday evening here in Denmark, my post will not be up until 12-15 hours from now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I like your owl nail art pict. Freehand is new to me & I'd like to get the proper supplies to do it! It's hard to coordinate an international nail challenge!

      Delete
    2. LOL yes, we might have to post on Tuesdays some of us, thank you for the comment about my little owl, I was pretty proud of him.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read the books but seriously this is an art and one you have more than perfected. This mani is beyond a win, its sad that so much work is put into it and so little time to take it off. You truly are an artist when it comes to nails

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina. In case you couldn't tell, I used to be an art student. I had to drop out due to budget cuts. Nail art is a way for me to keep in touch with art.

      Delete
  3. HELL TO THE YES THIS IS A WIN!! Love it so much and now I want to watch the movie. Your nail art is so awesome, you really smashed it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The movie was really really really good! It's not the best Hollywood blockbuster out there, you have to watch it for the story and not criticize it for its flaws. The sequel was good too.

      Delete
  4. This looks great! Definitely a mini WIN! Thanks for joining us :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me join! I can't wait to tackle the other challenges!

      Delete
  5. This manicure makes me wanna read this book! You did a nice job on that owl!! Wow...smh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should. It's a very easy read. You can read it in about a day!

      Delete
  6. I love the owl and the vortex, the whole mani looks amazing together! I haven't really tried using paint in my manis, but it seems to give really good results! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I'd start off with the kiddie craft paint before branching into the professional nail art acrylic paint. It's non-toxic & $1 & water soluble.

      I'm glad you liked the owl and vortex of DOOM! Can't wait for animal print nails!

      Delete

Comments/questions? Disrespectful comments will be promptly deleted. Please leave your spam links elsewhere. Any further questions, please email me.