Saturday, January 7, 2012

Easy Glitter Removal using the Foil Method

It seems like this past holiday season all the polish brands released a glitter polish of some sort. Some were insane!  Some were chunky!  Some were normal.  I bought the Zoya holiday glitters seen here  and the Wet n Wild Ice Baby glitters seen here.  I think a major deterrent for glitters is their removal.  I know removal can be a pain using the regular method but I used the foil method and was able to take off a glitter mani in 10 mins.

I know some of you might already be familiar with this but I hope this helps someone that is not familiar.  Also, this is the same method to use to remove any nail enhancements without damaging your natural nail.  i.e. acrylics, wraps, nail art. etc.


You will need:

  • 100 % acetone remover
  • Cuticle oil (Solar oil is pictured)
  • Cotton pads
  • Foil Strips (these are cut 2"x5")







Step 1:  Moisturize! Lotion up your hands and put oil on your cuticles and underneath your nails. I use petroleum jelly too for extra moisture.

Step 2: Soak your cotton with 100% acetone remover. Place on your nail. You don't need a lot of cotton because that will flood your nail.

Step 3: Wrap your nail in foil shiny side down.  The shiny side will hold the heat in and aid in removal.  The foil will keep the acetone from evaporating and stinking up your house then your significant other complains about the smell...

Step 4:  Repeat on all nails. Do one hand at a time. Set a timer for 10 mins or so.

Step 5: Twist the foil and pull off.  Remove any remaining polish.  Wash your hands really well and moisturize again.

Step 6:  If you want to start a new mani, prep your nail by removing all oils using a another swipe of acetone or rubbing alcohol.

I'd say 6-10 mins will remove chunky glitter.  15-20 mins will remove hex glitter as well as a fake nail.  I've worn a fake nail after a major break and I didn't want to cut my nails down.

Here's a video I put together that shows the steps in more detail.



I hope this helps somebody!  Please wear glitters knowing that they aren't a pain to remove!

Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. Ah! Soooo much better than the scrub yr nails crazy for 10 minutes method lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! My glitter halloween mani took an hr to take off using the regular method! I know there's another method where you paint a wet coat of polish and wipe it off that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to update you that I tried this with artifical nails (just the temporary 7-day ones from WalMart) and it did work, however I was a tad impatient and didn't wait long enough for the last few so there are some "battle scars" on a couple nails :( All in all it worked like a charm though :) Thanks for the tutorial! This is going to be so much easier with glitter, I can see it now :D

    ReplyDelete

Comments/questions? Disrespectful comments will be promptly deleted. Please leave your spam links elsewhere. Any further questions, please email me.